Friday, November 23, 2012

How to motivate students

Motivating students to practice or do their homework is difficult in the best of times but during the holidays, it can be really daunting. How can we as teachers and parents help?  For my own children, I find that routine works best. I just keep the routine of practice going even when we are on vacation or have house guests. I keep practice sessions short and usually try and put the session right before a really fun excursion or event. For example, if we are planning on going ice skating in the afternoon, I have the kids practice right before we are getting ready to leave and if they drag their feet which they often do, I can remind them that they are losing out on their skating time by not getting their instruments out and working with me during our session together. It works really well. I've tried practice charts, achievement ribbons, and other reward systems that do work too at least for a while. One idea that lasted for several months and that I might just start up again is an at home store where my kids earn tokens by practicing and then get to go shopping once a week for prizes. I'm working on an olympic theme for my students at school where they can earn ribbons for different skills achieved.

2 comments:

  1. We have a chore chart for our daughter that includes some paid activities and some family contributions. Family contributions are things that have to be done because they are her contribution to the family - like homework and practice. BUT...if she does 6 out of 7 days of all of her family contributions she earns a bonus. It's nice to have incentives but she also needs to know that some tasks are their own reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the idea of teaching our children the benefits of intrinsic rewards(the reward of a job well done) instead of always using extrinsic ones like prizes,ribbons etc.... Your family contribution chart is wonderful. I'm going to start one too. Thanks for your comment.
      Leslie

      Delete