Sunday, November 4, 2012

Last week, I introduced a new piece called Rockin' to the Zoo to all my students. It is an arrangement that is first introduced to the students using boomwhackers and then the rhythms from the boomwhacker arrangement are also used in the Orff instument arrangement. Orff instruments are xylophones, metalaphones and glockenspiels. The melody lines are a bit more complicated than the boomwhacker arrangement so it is appropriate for older elementary students in 3rd-5th grade. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly my 1st and 2nd graders learned the boomwhacker arrangement. It took about 12 minutes of class time and they were able to play through the entire song with about 90% accuracy. They seemed to enjoy learning and playing through it several times. This week, we are going to work on it again and I will add some drum beats with my electric keyboard to spice things up a bit. I also plan on introducing the Orff instrument parts to the older students.

The full version of Rockin' to the Zoo which includes the score, Orff Instrument arrangement and Boomwhacker arrangement can be purchase at the following link for $5.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Boom-whacker-and-Orff-Instruments-Arrangement-grades-1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment